Our lives are filled with family, work and community obligations. At some point, we feel as though we are ‘running on empty’. Here are eight immediate stress busters to help ‘fill up the tank’!
1. Let go: Next time you find yourself becoming annoyed at something trivial or unimportant, make a conscious choice not to get angry or upset. Effective anger management is a tried-and-true stress reducer.
2. Breathe slowly and deeply: Before reacting to the next stressful occurrence, take three deep breaths and release them slowly.
3. Speak slowly: Whenever you feel overwhelmed by stress, practice speaking more slowly than usual. You will think more clearly, react more reasonably and also appear less anxious and more in control.
4. Jump-start an effective time management strategy: Choose one simple thing you have been putting off, and do it immediately. Just taking care of one nagging responsibility can be energising.
5. Get outdoors for a brief break: Do not be deterred by foul weather or a full schedule. Even five minutes on a balcony or terrace can be rejuvenating.
6. Drink plenty of water and eat small, nutritious snacks: Hunger and dehydration can provoke aggressiveness and exacerbate feelings of anxiety and stress.
7. Do a quick posture check: Hold your head and shoulders upright and avoid stooping or slumping. Bad posture can lead to muscle tension, pain, and increased stress.
8. Reward yourself: Plan something rewarding to end a stressful day — a relaxing bath or an hour with a good book. — Agencies